NEW DIRECTIONS DENTISTRY QUEENSLAND PRIVACY STATEMENT
Notice: ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’ ‘NDDQ’, refers to Biodent Pty Ltd (trading as New Directions Dentistry Queensland which will be referred to as NDDQ throughout this document). ‘you’ and ‘your’ refers to individual patients or clients of NDDQ. NDDQ, we strictly follow the protocol defined by the IAOMT (International Association of Oral Medicine and Toxicology) for safely removing mercury fillings.
Your privacy is important to us and we are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information. This policy explains what information we collect, how information is collected, used and handled. When you receive services from NDDQ, you agree to the handling of your personal information as outlined in this policy. This document may be amended periodically.
Consent means your permission either via directly via written correspondence or verbally or implied consent when our pre-established relationship with you enables us to form conclusion with you that you have given consent either by you choosing to take action or not to take action.
Personal information has the same meaning that it has under the Privacy Act 1988 and refers to written or verbal information, whether true or not about an individual whose identity can be ascertained from the information.
3. Information We Collect
We will only collect information that is necessary for providing our services to you and will only be used for the purposes for which it was collected. The type of personal information we collect from you will vary depending upon the following:
- Whether you are already an existing client of NDDQ
- The extent to which you have previously used our services and products
- Or are a new client making enquiries about our services and products
If you are a client of NDDQ or have applied to engage in our services, the personal, or individually identifiable information that we hold about you may include:
- name, address, contact details
- personal details such as age and gender;
- details from health professionals you have previously been a patient of;
- Medicare number and health insurance details
- records of contact with NDDQ such as system notes
- Basic statistical information for business development purposes including service development and risk assessment
- details of professional services used and purchases made, including time of purchase
- Sensitive information including:
- medical history;
- family medical history;
- current health issues;
4. How Information May Be Collected
We may collect personal information directly from you in any of the following ways:
- If you choose to provide personal information via completing new patient forms on our website.
- When you complete forms, send us an email, provide information to a staff member during a visit to our NDDQ practice or by telephone;
- If you choose to provide personal information directly to a NDDQ dental professional whilst receiving dental services at our practice.
- when you use professional services or purchase products from us
We may also collect information from third parties if you have provided them with consent under their own privacy policies:
- we may collect information from third parties such as Medicare or your health insurance provider or;
- we may collect information from other health practitioners, (dentists and dental specialists); (ie if you were referred to us by another dental practitioner).
If you have provided NDDQ with information about another person, it is your responsibility to inform them that you have done so and that they should refer to this document for details regarding how we will handle their personal information and their right to access their information.
5. Use and disclosure of Your Personal Information
Your personal information is primarily used for administrative processes that enable safe and efficient product and service delivery to you. Where required, we may disclose your personal information on a confidential basis to associated staff members within the practice. Your personal information may be used for any of the following purposes:
- The provision of dental services and products to you;
- The administration and maintenance of your client files at our practice;
- To send correspondence to you in relation to the practice and any dental services or products being provided to you
- To answer any enquiries you may have related to your dental care here at NDDQ;
- To carry out internal practice functions (ie administration, quality control, accounting, evaluating service and produce delivery and information technology management);
- To administer your invoicing for dental services, credit card payments, or to collect unpaid invoices;
- To process your Medicare and health insurance claims;
- To contact you for follow up regarding further dental examinations or treatments that may be required;
- To resolve client complaints;
- To comply with any laws or regulations.
If you submit online forms or send emails to us containing personal information, we will use that information to respond to your enquiry or to contact you directly. The main purpose of collecting and using personal information submitted through our website is to respond to NDDQ client enquiries regarding our services. We may store your contact information for future reference.
6. Disclosure to Third Parties
Disclosure of your personal information to third parties may be required in certain circumstances in order for us to provide our services and products to you and to continue to run an efficient and sustainable practice. Disclosure of personal information may be required in the following circumstances:
- To any person or entity acting on your behalf (eg. a family member or carer);
- To your nominated relatives or emergency contacts in an emergency;
- To government and regulatory bodies, eg. Medicare
- To auditors and other service providers we may appoint to ensure the integrity of our operations;
- To dentists, dental specialists (and other healthcare professionals), for the purpose of seeking a second opinion or a referral, where your consent has been provided;
- Your contact information may only be disclosed to health insurance companies or third party health benefit providers to assist in the processing of a claim for reimbursement or payment/co-payment of dental treatment submitted by you or on your behalf;
- Where disclosure is required by law, (eg. compulsory notices from courts of law, government agencies or tribunals).
7. Handling and storage of Personal Information
To ensure your privacy is respected and maintained, we will take reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is stored securely and is protected from misuse, loss and from unauthorised access, alteration or disclosure. NDDQ maintains strict data security standards and procedures that are in accordance with Australian privacy laws including the Australian Privacy Principles.
Your personal information may be used by NDDQ staff for administration and in the provision of services to you. We will store your personal information for as long as it is required to provide these services and products to you and to comply with all associated legal requirements. If we no longer require your personal information, we will take reasonable measures to securely destroy or de-identify your personal information except in circumstances permitted or required by law.
8. Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
8.1 Access to personal information
You have the right to access personal information that is held about you by us. You can at any time, ask us for access to the information that we hold about you. Simply contact NDDQ directly to make your request. Provided it is reasonable to do so, we will always endeavour to meet your request for access. We will endeavor to provide this information to you within a reasonable time and in the manner requested by you. In some circumstances however, access to certain information may be denied. This includes the following circumstances:
- We no longer hold or use the information;
- Providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- The request is unwarranted or unreasonable;
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not normally be disclosed as part of those proceedings;
- Providing access would be unlawful or denying access is required by law;
- Providing access would be likely to prejudice the prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of possible unlawful activity;
- The information would reveal our commercially sensitive decision-making process;
- Where access would pose a threat to the life or health of any individual.
If any circumstance in which we are unable to provide you access to the information you have requested, we will provide you with written justification for this decision. If you have any concerns about the refusal, please contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
8.2 Updating your personal information
In order to maintain high quality customer service and practices it is essential that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. At NDDQ, we will strive to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date at the time of collecting and also when using or disclosing it. If you believe any information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, you should contact us to let us know so we can amend your records accordingly.
9. Website Security
Protection and maintenance of personal privacy is a priority for us. Our website does not provide facilities that guarantee secure transmission of information over the internet. You should be aware that as with any website, there are risks in transmitting information across the internet, including online forms and email. If you are concerned about conveying sensitive or personal material to us over the internet, contact us by telephone to discuss the matter.
Please note, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other external websites linked to this website. Please read their own privacy statements when accessing other websites linked to this one for more information.
The before and after photographs on our website are from actual dental procedures on patients at our practice. No retouching or other modifications have been made to any the photographs. All patients who appear in these photographs have given consent and no photos are displayed without their written or verbal consent.
11. Changes to the Privacy Statement
As an ever evolving practice we reserve the right to change the content or services found on the NDDQ website without notice. Consequently our Privacy Statement may change at any time also without notice.
12. Our Contact Information and Resolving your Concerns
You are welcome to contact us at any time if you have any concerns or questions about the information in this document or about how your personal information has been handled. New Directions Dentistry Queensland (NDDQ) will manage any concerns internally, directly with you. If, after contacting us, you still have concerns or are not happy with our response, you are able to seek advice from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by calling 1300 363 992.